✔ The Middle Years Programme (MYP) is a five-year programme that focuses on eight academic areas that encourage student to connect to subjects in the real world
✔ Students will study a broad range of subjects, including English, a language (French, Spanish or Mandarin), Arts, Mathematics, Technology, Physical Education, and the Sciences
✔ Inter-disciplinary learning is important in the IB, meaning students learn across subjects about a concept or idea through a variety of methods, such as concept and contextual based learning, as well as personal projects
The eight academic areas are:
- Language and literature (English)
- Language acquisition (Spanish or Mandarin)
- Physical education
- The sciences
This results in an education framework which promotes:
- Rigorous learning objectives
- A student-centred approach to teaching
- Inquiry-led, concept-based learning
- International perspectives
- Concern for the whole child
- Sustained teaching and learning in more than one language
- Learning how to learn
- Development of flexible thinking
Key features of the MYP
- Conceptual teaching and learning: Concepts are big ideas which allow students to connect their learning across multiple subjects as well as to the real world.
- Context-based learning: The MYP global contexts prepare students to be outward-looking and internationally-minded.
- The personal project: Each student devises their own personal project to explore, research and communicate an idea of their choice.
At ICS, we teach students to help manage their own learning, which will extend far beyond their school years. We promote action and service, introducing students into their local and global communities.
We are an International Baccalaureate World School, and we help students transition from the Primary Years Programme (PYP) into MYP, and finally prepare them fully for the world-renowned Diploma Programme.
Read our MYP guide (PDF)